Scott Bakshis of the Chicago Youth Symphony recently compiled a list of what the requirements for all the top bass schools are. This is a meta list derived from the requirements of Indiana University, Boston University, Rice University, Curtis, Juilliard, Eastman, and many others. If bass students can have this repertoire under their fingers by early senior year (high school), they can feel confident about their college prospects:
- two concerto movements from Dragonetti, Koussevitzky, or Bottesini
- two Baroque Sonata movements
- two movements of Solo Bach (any suite, any key)
- etudes from Simandl, Storch-Hrabe, Sturm, and Kreutzer
- Beethoven Symphony No. 5 mvt 3 (complete)
- two Brahms excerpts (Symphonies 1-4)
- two Mozart excerpts (Symphonies 35-41)
- all three octave major and minor scales
Also see my post about what it takes to really succeed as a music performance major.
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.