This is an ever-growing archive of PDF and MP3 resources for double bassists. Many of them are contributions from readers over the years. If you’ve got something you’d like shared with the general bass public, this site is an easy way to do it. Just email me at email@example.com and I can set it up!
I also have an extensive page of method books and materials that I recommend for both classical and jazz double bassists.
Get the App!
The download that I’m most excited to offer right now is our free Contrabass Conversations app for iOS, Android, Kindle, and Windows Mobile. This app features a wealth of exclusive content, including:
- all podcast episodes since 2007
- bonus content for all episodes for 2015 and beyond
- dozens of exclusive video lessons from bass teachers like Andrew Anderson (Lyric Opera, Roosevelt University) and Hans Sturm (former ISB president, Rabbath technique specialist)
- PDF practicing materials and resources
- a free copy of Road Warrior Without an Expense Account, my book about making a living as a working musicians
- push notifications (iOS only) to notify you of new episodes
- helpful articles about practicing, auditions, gear, and more topics pertaining to double bassists
- exclusive audio content and extras available only in the app!
- exclusive wallpaper of Contrabass Conversations guests for your mobile device
Bottesini Concerto No. 2 – PDF and MP3
DePaul University Orchestra Director Cliff Colnot reorchestrated the Bottesini Concerto No. 2 back in 2008 for a performance with concerto competition winner Henry Chen. Cliff has made the score and parts to his edition of the concerto freely available.
Even better, Cliff had the DePaul Symphony record all three movements without the soloist playing, like a “music minus one” but with an entire orchestra! Here are MP3s of each movement. You can use these to practice along with. Very cool!
Double bassist Vytas Nagisetty has written “346”, a three movement piece for bass sextet. Check out parts, scores, and recordings of the piece here.
How to Make a Living as a Classical Musician
I wrote this book in early 2016 to help young musicians get some ideas for how to make a living in the classical music sphere. You can get a copy of this book by subscribing to my weekly newsletter. Dmitry Korotkov has also translated my book into Russian–download a copy of the Russian translation here.
Practice Tracks (MP3)
We have hundreds of MP3 files available for students to work with online or to download. Click on the excerpts, solos, or scales links for these tracks:
- Beethoven 5 mvt 3
- Beethoven 9 recit
- Brahms 1 mvt 2
- Ginastera Variaciones
- Haydn 31
- Mahler 1
- Mozart 39 mvt 1 & 4
- Mozart 40 mvt 1 & 4
- Prokofiev Lt. Kije
- Prokofiev Quintet
- Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet
- Sibelius 3
- Strauss Don Juan
- Strauss Ein Heldenleben #9, 16, 60, 66, 77
- Stravinsky Pulcinella
- Tchaikovsky 4
- Verdi Otello
- Verdi Rigoletto
- Bach Suite 3 Bourrees
- Bach Suite 3 Gigue
- Bottesini Elegy
- Capuzzi Concerto mvt 1, 2, 3
- Dittersdorf Concerto mvt 1, 2, 3
- Dragonetti Concerto mvt 1, 3
- Eccles Sonata mvt 1, 2
- Marcello G major mvt 1, 2
- Proto Sonata
- Telemann Canonic Sonata 1
- Wilder Small Suite
- 1 octave major, melodic, harmonic, and natural minor
- 2 octave major, melodic, harmonic, and natural minor
- 3 octave major, melodic, harmonic, and natural minor
Transcriptions by Kirsten Paige:
Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 5 in F Major, op. 24 (the “Spring Sonata”) – PDF
Schubert Violin Sonata, D. 384
Transcriptions by Jason Heath
Eccles Sonata in A Minor (solo tuning version) for Double Bass and Piano – PDF
from Miloslav Gajdos
Max Dimoff Technique Packet
Cleveland Orchestra principal bass Max Dimoff has a rigorous technical routine that he has developed for double bass players. You can check it out by clicking the link below.
Miloslav Gajdos Bowing Packet
Czech bass virtuoso and master teacher Miloslav Gajdos has adapted the Sevcik School of Bowing for the double bass in this concise packet. The exercises are organized into ten groups for daily practice.
Here are fingering charts for one and two octave scales with no fingerings at all. That way, you can add your own without a lot of unnecessary scribbling.
- one octave major and minor scales – no fingerings (PDF)
- two octave major and minor scales – no fingerings (PDF)
- three octave major scales – no fingerings (PDF)
- one octave major and minor scales with fingerings (PDF)
- two octave major and minor scales with fingerings (PDF)
James Marshall Compositions
Double bass composer James Marshall and I have been in touch recently, and he expressed interest in my sharing scores of some of his double bass compositions here on the blog. Jim has written several pieces in the past for Bert Turetzky (a former Contrabass Conversations guest). Here are copes of PDFs of all three scores. If you are interested in performing them, please contact Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ciel Etoile (PDF) – for amplified solo contrabass, flute, clarinet, trumpet, violin, cello, bass drum, and piano
- Ciel Luminaire (PDF) – for alto flute and contrabass
- Intonement (PDF) – for solo contrabass
Audition Study Materials (MP3)
Double bassist John Grillo put out two wonderful audition practice guides on Contrabass Conversations. One covers orchestral excerpts, and one overs opera excerpts. In each guide, John talks through the main concepts and issues with each excerpt and then performs them. These are really useful–check them out below: