The last chair bassist of a major orchestra fancied himself something of an amateur conductor. One day the Maestro fell ill and with no conductor on call the orchestra manager approached the bassist to fill in. So the bassist led rehearsals and concerts, receiving accolades from both the public and the critics for his performances. The following week the Maestro returned to the podium. When the bassist took his usual seat at the back of the section his stand partner turned to him and asked, “Where the hell were you last week?”
- Bernard Haitink – CSO Bass Blog post
- Stuff in Michael Hovnanian’s bass studio
- Time off – CSO Bass Blog post
- ‘Trout’ fingerings – CSO Bass Blog
- On An Overgrown Path features CSO Bass Blog
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.