I spent this entire week in Wisconsin, first driving to Madison to play in the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra, then heading up to Milwaukee to play a yearly concert called Gathering On the Green about 20 miles north of Milwaukee. This kind of driving reminds me of what it was like playing in the Milwaukee Ballet all the time and driving out to my old university job at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.
I’ll be spending this week in Wisconsin as well, driving up every day to Lake Geneva for Music by the Lake. I played this festival last year just as my blog was getting going, and you can see some shots of last year’s events here.
This blog gets a lot of really great comments. If you would like to subscribe to the comments you can do so by pasting the following link into Bloglines, Google Reader, PageFlakes, or Newshutch, or you can click on it to subscribe using live bookmarks in Firefox or Internet Explorer (or probably Opera or Safari, but I don’t really use those browsers):
Thanks again to Michael Hovnanian for the great Contrabass Conversations interview this week, and thanks to Dinah D, Shagg, and other musical contributors to this episode. Stay tuned next week for a video (!) and audio episode with Guy Tuneh.
We started to add polls to the blog after an eight month hiatus from them, so expect a new poll in the sidebar each week. You’ll also be able to view the results of all our old polls.
Current number of posts on doublebassblog.org: 1356
Here is a summary of this week’s blog activity:
- CBC #29: Michael Hovnanian interview part 2 and music from Dinah D
- Hindemith Sonata mvt 2 – video
- Paul Rogers plays the bass
- Leave some Virtual Master Class feedback!
- My interview with Guy Tuneh
- David Anderson Bass Sonata video
- The Good Musician
- Joel Quarrington to teach at Toronto Summer Music Festival
- Bass photo from Sophie
- Kitties like fans
- Gaelen plays David Anderson duet – video
- Take a poll!
- Haywire technical issues
- Joshua Nemith on music education and student achievement
- Bass Audition Roundup
- Relationship between Music Education and Student Achievement
- Virtual Master Class track – Beethoven 9
- Vanhal Concerto – intro – video
- DePaul Symphony Orchestra bass section photo
- Crazy musical instrument catalogue
- Brandon Mitchell performs Hindemith Sonata mvt 1 – video
- Bass and mandolin – photo
- Audition – Virginia Symphony
- On Teaching – post from Charles Noble
- Jason takes board of directors position for ISB
- Fed up with this business – one bassist’s realization
- Jazz legend Johny Frigo 1916-2007
- Brandon Mitchell performs Bottesini mvt 1 – video
- Double bass and gambas photo