Check out this episode from NPR’s From The Top featuring the great Bela Fleck and a young bassist named Mike Thurber. Just visit this page and click the ‘Listen’ button at the top. I love From The Top. To me, it is one of the best examples of how to engage young performers and audiences. I’m sure that any young musician participating on this program treasures the experience for the rest of their life, and the audiences for both the live tapings and the radio (and now podcast) programs are young and fresh. Truly a great example of how to reach younger musicians and make classical music interesting and relevant.
- Innovative arts funding model in Chicago jazz scene
- New York Philharmonic cellist quits to become a paramedic
- Milwaukee loses classical station to smooth jazz
- Federal support for the arts
- Flea starts music conservatory in Los Angeles