Double bassist Stan Haskins has put together a very engaging series of articles about double bass pedagogue Virginia Dixon on his blog Glued to the String. Virginia is a bass teacher specializing in the Suzuki Bass Program. She teaches in the west suburbs of Chicago, and she has been a long-time contributor to the International Society of Bassists.
Surprisingly, I’ve only met Virginia once in the past, at a party for DaXun Zhang (former bass teacher at Northwesten University-now bass professor at UT-Austin) held in Evanston, but I’ve always heard great things about what she does with young bassists.
Here are some links to the various articles that Stan has put together:
- Interview with Virginia Dixon
- How I became involved with the Suzuki Bass Program
- Resources for Suzuki Bass Teachers and Students
- How to Become a Suzuki Bass Instructor
- Materials for Beginning Suzuki Bass Students and Teachers
Stan started his blog over the summer this year, and it has turned into quite a compelling read. I’ve got his blog feed in my Google Reader list, and I check it every time he puts out a new post. Great stuff!