It has been said that double bassists are very rarely soloists and the repertory for concerto appearances is basically non-existent. Leave it to Mr. Robinson to debunk these myths. This concert will be his second concerto appearance in less than a year. Last January, he performed John Harbison’s “Concerto for Bass Viol” with the Philadelphia Orchestra. I was fortunate to be able to hear one of these concerts and I enjoyed it very much. Harold has also performed “Jack and the Beanstalk” with the National Symphony Orchestra in Washington D.C. He was formally the principal bass of the National Symphony Orchestra, before he moved to Philadelphia for his current position.
Read the complete post here.
Hal will be performing Jon Deak’s double bass concerto “Jack and the Beanstalk”. Check out John’s post for complete details.
- New World Symphony 8th annual Oktoberfest
- IRIS Orchestra opening night concert
- Classical Music News now online
- listen to John’s interviews on Contrabass Conversations
- listen to John perform excerpts on Contrabass Conversations
- listen to John’s recital on Contrabass Conversations