I had the opportunity to get to know French double bassist Thierry Barbe at this weekend’s International Society of Bassists Board of Directors meeting. Thierry performs in the Paris Opera and teaches at the Paris Conservatory, and he also manages the Association des bassistes et contrebassistes de France (ABCDF), a French double bass society dedicated to promoting double bass performance and education.
This organization will be presenting the Second International Bass Symposium at the Conservatoire National Superieur de Musique et de Danse de Paris (www.CNSMDP.fr) this fall from October 30 to November 2.
This is the first bass symposium to be held in France since ‘Bass 94’ in Avignon, and it promises not to disappoint, with many events for performers, students, and teachers, including:
- A competition comprising a mini-bass section with four distinct levels for ages 7 to adult
- Solo, orchestra, jazz, and contemporary divisions for the competition
- Conferences, concerts, and recitals in all styles ranging from classical to jazz (and more!)
- Exhibits from prominent bass luthiers from many countries
- A large ensemble piece for 100 double bassists and two electric basses (I can’t wait to see this piece!)
Thierry has amassed a staggeringly impressive lineup of talent for the symposium faculty, including:
- Francois Rabbath
- Bozo Paradzik
- Roman Patkolo
- Jeff Bradetich
- Rinat Ibraghimov
- Joel Quarrington
- Giuseppe Ettorre
- Alberto Bocini
- Marc Morton
- Catalin Rotaru
- Paul Ellison
- Teppo Hauta Aho
- Rufus Reid
- Barre Philips
- John Patitucci
- Bruno Chevillon
- Claude Tchamitchian
- Riccardo Del Fra
- Renaud Garcia Fons
- Jean-Paul Celea
- Hein Van De Geyn
For more information, be sure to check out www.contrebasse.com. I’ll be keeping folks updated as this event grows nearer. It’s great to see this kind of event come together!
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.