We’ve got a bunch of interesting links for you this Friday! First, we’ll be featuring Pat Metheny bassist Steve Rodby on this week’s Contrabass Conversations episode. This interview, which is conducted by special host Kells Nollenberger (from the Jazz Exchange podcast), was initiated on episode 58 of the podcast.
The Grillo Grape
John has put out quite an interesting amalgamation of posts since starting his blog in 2007. Here are a few of my personal favorites:
- Orchestra Confidential – Symphonic Life from the Inside Out
- Gustavo Dudamel on 60 Minutes
- The Art of the Deficit – Lack of Government Support
- The Art of the Deficit – The Dysfunctional Model of the American Orchestra
- The Musical Universe – Black Hole Hums a Low B Flat
Paul Ramsier’s “Silent Movie” with Andrew Festa
Double bassist Andrew Festa recently wrote in to let me know about a recent performance he did of Paul Ramsier’s “Silent Movie,” an enjoyable piece for the bass that probably doesn’t get played as often as it should. Andrew writes:
I recently played a short recital at the ASODB with Dr. Mark Morton. I played Silent Movie by Paul Ramsier. I don’t think this piece is very well known, but I’d really like to make it more well known. Here are videos of the first four movements, I’d really appreciate it if you would post them on your blog!
Here’s the first movement from YouTube:
Check out the entire performance through the links below:
- 1st movement – http://youtube.com/watch?v=q_ThhzMlSiE
- 2nd movement – http://youtube.com/watch?v=AhVTMzGQrfg
- 3rd movement – http://youtube.com/watch?v=Tv7XJrNpeKA
- 4th movement – http://youtube.com/watch?v=M1i_nBVxQMc
Noticing an awful lot of comics on the blog recently?
As readers may have guessed, I decided to purchase a copy of Comic Life with my new MacBook (read about my agonizing blogging with my Acer PC laptop here). Do you think I’m overusing it? 😉