As 2016 continues to roll along, I continue to experiment with different formats for Contrabass Conversations and different weekly themes. While not all weeks will have a unifying theme to their episodes, I do have a few more coming up:
A Passion for Teaching (next week)
We will feature interviews with two engaging, experienced, committed, and passionate double bass teachers: Inez Wyrick and Gaelen McCormick. Both of these marvelous bass teachers have been involved with the International Society of Bassists, and they have great perspectives, thoughts, and advice for bassists at all levels.
New Music Mavericks (mid-March)
This week we will feature interviews with Bert Turetzky and Andrés Martín. Both of these bassists are well-known internationally and were fascinating podcast guests. You’ll love hearing from them!
We also have a ton of additional interviews either completed and in the edit queue or about to occur. Here’s a partial list:
- Adam Ben Ezra
- Chuck Israels
- Ira Gold
- Leon Bosch
- Arnold Schnitzer
Here’s a quick recap of what we’ve done thematically so far since relaunching (we’re over 30 episodes into the relaunch already!):
Performing at a high level requires specific and sophisticated gear. In this collection of episodes, we dig into the nitty-gritty of making instruments and bows, choosing gear, tonal characteristics of woods, how to pick an instrument, and much more.
- CBC 183: Susan Lipkins on crafting bows, tonal characteristics of wood, and how to choose a bow
- CBC 184: Nick Lloyd on the craft of bass making, building flat backs, and traveling to Pakistan
- CBC 185: George Martin on challenging restorations, the art of varnishing, and riding horses in the English countryside
- CBC 186: Barrie Kolstein on making rosin, lessons learned from his father, and bass trunk technology
- CBC 187: Chris Threlkeld-Wiegand on working at Robertson’s, building extensions, and aesthetic wood choices
These episodes are united in all being slightly off-the-beaten-path from our traditional formats. With music interspersed with opinion and commentary, these three episodes are a departure from the interview format.
- CBC 188: Ron Carter on technical development, an orchestral foundation, and developing the next generation of music lovers
- CBC 189: Barry Green and Jeff Bradetich on the Anna’s Promise Project
- CBC 190: Czardas with Andy Anderson – the making of an arrangement
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.