Contrabass Conversations has a new headquarters! After a hilariously challenging search, we landed a great pad along the waterfront in San Francisco. Here’s a view down the block:
OK–here’s the latest in the world of the bass:
Every time I open up Facebook I find an announcement about a fellow bassist landing a sweet gig! Congratulations to the following fine folks for their recent successes:
- Drew Banzhaf – 1-year position with the Baltimore Symphony
- Scott Worthington – principal bass of the Redlands Symphony and the artist teacher of bass at the University of Redlands
- Nick Adams – Civic Orchestra of Chicago
If you enjoy following along with recent audition winners, you’ll love this week’s podcast series focused on auditioning. We featured interviews with three recent audition winners:
- Jon McCullough-Benner – Milwaukee Symphony
- Tim Dilenschneider – Baltimore Symphony
- Andrew Pedersen – Houston Symphony
We’ll wrap up Audition Week with an episode featuring highlights from recent audition-related episodes. All the audiiton episodes we put out since the release of Winning the Audition will be featured. You can get this highlight episode and all our other podcasts by subscribing to the podcast or downloading our free app!
The Kansas City Bass Workshop and KC BassFest 2017 proudly welcome the return of world-renowned bass virtuoso and educator, François Rabbath June 13-18, 2017. Rabbath’s son, pianist Sylvain Rabbath accompanies him once again. We are delighted they will perform at Grace and Holy Trinity Church in downtown KCMO.
In addition to featuring KC BassFest organizer Johnny Hamil on the podcast, we’ve had several of the other workshop clinicians as guests:
Ira Gold’s Orchestral Bass Workshop will be returning this August 26-27. Here’s a bit about the event:
Last year, we focused on the bow strokes that are critical to success in orchestral playing, and this year we’re widening our focus to include both technical and musical elements of a career on the double bass.
The Workshop is taught by its founder, National Symphony Orchestra bassist Ira Gold, who holds a faculty position at the Peabody Conservatory and delivers classes around the country on solo and orchestral playing. Also featured this year will be Brent Edmondson, a frequent substitute bass player with the Philadelphia Orchestra and recent winner of the Annapolis Symphony Associate Principal position.
Ira has been a guest several times on the podcast and also wrote the foreword for my book Winning the Audition. I also had Brent as a guest on the podcast back in 2015, and I interviewed Wesley Thompson about Bass Works, another summer event in which Ira is involved.
- Heather Miller Lardin – early music specialist and Bass World Rumblings editor
- Joey Naeger on fingerboard geography
- Allegra Hale on the ISB convention app
- What to see at ISB – a highlight episode of many of the people presenting at the 2017 convention
- Contrabass Conversations named top 10 classical music podcast
- ISB member wins the 2017 Stulberg Competition
- how to take musical risks in auditions without going too far – with former podcast guest Rob Knopper and San Francisco Symphony principal percussionist Jake Nissly
- Barry Lieberman and Friends Recital: Catalin Rotaru, double bass on May 20
- former podcast guest Gjorgji Cincievski will be holding a masterclasses and recital at the Associazione “Amici della Musica” di Giardini Naxos – August 21-23
- check out this cool performance from former podcast guest Andres Martin
- New York Philharmonic bassist and former podcast guest David Grossman is NY Phil’s On the Cover musician for May!
- Why I Gave Up On Hating My Playing – great jazz-focused mindset article
- double bass airline damage agony from Dan Turkos
Share Your News Here!
Got an event coming up or a story to share? Send me an email and let me know!
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.