I hope your summer is moving along well! I’m enjoying a few weeks close to home here in San Francisco. My next big project is learning Nicholas Walker‘s Chorale for a few upcoming performances. What a great piece!
Double Bass Articulations and Markings Guide
Geoff Chalmers and Lauren Pierce of Discover Double Bass have created an outstanding articulations and markings guide. I’ve been looking for something like this for years. Congrats to both of them for putting this together. It’s super-clear and loaded with great video examples.
This might be one of my all-time favorite double bass resources. Be sure to bookmark this page–super-useful!
How Strings Are Made
Test Driving the Chromatic Endpin
Here’s a Facebook Live video I did about it this week. 12,000 + views already on this–looks like people are interested in checking this endpin out!
I’ve also had Emilio on the podcast twice before:
- David Heyes will be hosting Somerset Bass Weekend October 20-22 2017 with international guests Simón García and Dritan Gani plus special guests Sarah Poole (soprano) and Derek Harris (piano)
- Congrats to Trevor Jones and the guys in Molehill for rocking it at the House of Blues this week
- Congrats also to Tom Knific for another great year at the Western Michigan University Summer Camp
- The Central American Bass Festival is coming up, and Claus Freudenstein will be one of the featured guests
Fun stuff to click on
- I had a fantastic conversation with Jessica Valls about the career she’s created for herself – give it a listen!
- Gaelen McCormick is getting some great press about her third volume of Mastering the Bow
- Adam Booker is “official” now at Appalachian State University
- Crazy flooding up where I used to work in Lake County, Illinois has decimated a concert hall (photo from Alan Steiner)
- Great news from my former orchestra: The Elgin Symphony Orchestra Sells Highest Average Number of Classical Concert Tickets in its History during the 66th Season
- Check out Ron Wasserman‘s funny and true post – The Seven Stages of Bass Section Intonation
- Quincy Jones to launch Qwest TV, first streaming service dedicated to jazz
- Alexis Cuadrado on technique, composition, and 21st-century careers
- how wood choice affects tone with Seth Kimmel
- Dennis Tobenski on composition and entrepreneurship
- Dennis Whittaker on opera, education, and daily routines
- Jonathan Glawe on orchestra directorship, motivating students, and the global state of music education
- Matthew Waters: The Orchestral Dream is Dead
- Miles Brown on teaching jazz and Alarm Will Sound
- Nick Mainella on creating an educational jazz podcast
That’s all for this week. Have a great weekend, and keep in touch!
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.