It seems like yesterday that I was getting ready to head down to the 2017 International Society of Bassists Convention. How quickly time flies!
I’m really looking forward to checking out the 2nd International Bradetich Competition and the 21 outstanding contestants that will be performing. I’ll be streaming the finals and other segments of the event while I’m there.
Follow along with this major bass event by doing the following:
Right Hand Pizzicato Techniques
I am interviewing University of Louisville bass professor Chris Fitzgerald this week for the podcast. Chris has an incredibly useful YouTube Channel with a Bass Technique Series that will blow your mind.
Chris has a phenomenal library of technique videos, including:
- Double Bass Posture Variations
- Introduction to Melody and Soloing in Thumb Position
- Thumb Position Technique Basics
- Walking Bass Line Examples and Analysis
- Left Hand Technique Basics
Check these out, and look for my interview with Chris on the podcast soon!
Sharpen Your Audition Skills
As the fall approaches, audition season begins for many bassists out there.
I’ve found three great articles this week from experts in the audition world:
- How to Prepare for an Audition by Andrew Hitz
- should i tell my friends/family/colleagues that i’m taking an audition by Rob Knopper
- Choose Your Own Audition by Nathan Cole and Akiko Tarumoto
Beyond the Practice Room
Matt Waters, this week’s podcast guest and author of The Orchestral Dream is Dead, is running a Kickstarter for his new book Beyond the Practice Room – Making Music in the Modern Age. Help Matt get this book out into the world with a pledge and get a copy for yourself and your students in the process!
Tango Across the Border
One of my first San Francisco bass experiences was the Winter Bass Bash in 2016. Here’s a great piece from that event called Tango Across the Border by Andrés Martín as performed by Jeremy Kurtz-Harris and Steve Tramantozzi:
Fun Stuff to Click
- What Can I Work On Whilst I’m Away From My Bass by Geoff Chalmers
- Kurt Vonnegut on the Shapes of Stories (hat tip to Tim Ferriss)
- Driven to Distractions by Pierre Battah (here’s a shot of Pierre and me with Gary Karr!)
- Jeff Denson is just about to release his new album of Beatles arrangements with the San Francisco String Trio – here’s a shot of them in action
- Bass Musician Magazine’s Top 10 Basses on Instagram this week
- Lauren Pierce is back in Dallas and is taking new students!
- Jaco Pastorius plays The Chicken (via Bass Musician Magazine)
- Alumni profile of Joe Conyers (via From the Top)
- Learning to Learn: You, Too, Can Rewire Your Brain (via Carnegie Mellon Bass Studio)
- Musicians’ Union Publish New Airline Cabin Policy Rating System
Conversations This Week
- Matt Waters – The Orchestral Dream is Dead
- Dennis Tobenski talks careers, business, composing, and podcasting
- Nick Mainella teaches jazz in just 10 minutes
Conversations Next Week
- Alexandra Scott – Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra and Professor for Double Bass at the Hochschule für Musik in Karlsruhe
- Jeff Denson – California Jazz Conservatory faculty and collaborator with Lee Konitz and others
- Gary Peacock – longtime bassist for Keith Jarrett
- Larry Grenadier – bassist for Brad Mehldau trio, Pet Metheny, many others
- Benedict Puglisi – Australian luthier – Christian McBride and Larry Grenadier play his basses!
- Caroline Emery – UK-based double bass teacher, author of Bow Works and Bass is Best!
- Elsen Price – Australian experimental, contemporary, and world music bassist
- Marlene Rosenberg – Chicago-based jazz bassist, collaborator with Marian McPartland and many others
- Miles Brown – bassist for Alarm Will Sound
- Patrick Charton – innovative French luthier
- Susan Cahill – Colorado Symphony bassist and University of Denver faculty
- Todd Parks – bassist for Sam Bush and many others
- Caitlyn Kamminga – faculty at University of Trinidad and Tobago
- Zach Rowden – experimental bassist
That’s it for this week. As always, email me any news you’d like shared, and have a great weekend!
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.