Guess how many posts I’ve put out on this blog? 3,700! That’s a lot of posts!
I’m back in San Francisco and getting settled into the fall routine, and my inbox is brimming as usual with bass news. Here’s what’s happening:
Claus Freudenstein shares his Central American travel experiences
Past podcast guest and International Society of Bassists board member Claus Freudenstein recently attended the 3rd Festival Centro Americano de Contrabajo in Guatemala. Claus wrote a great post about it with a ton of cool photos of him working with the students.
I had the chance to play Claus’ Bass Hymn at the International Society of Bassists convention this summer–here’s a clip:
Yung-chiao Wei performs recital on Karr-Koussevitzky Bass
Yung-chiao is a great person and a monster bassist. Here’s a video of her in action:
Craig Butterfield and Jesse Jones on Tour
Former podcast guest Craig Butterfield hits the road with mandolinist Jesse Jones for some fall dates. These guys gave a jaw-droppingly good recital at ISB this past June. Check them out if you can!
- 9/20 7 PM Concert at Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory Gamble Auditorium Cleveland OH
- 9/23 7:30 PM Hope College, Holland MI
- 9/24 7:30 PM Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo MI
Here’s a clip of this rockin’ duo in action:
- Congrats to Ira Gold for the second year of his orchestral bowing workshop
- Another great summer of bass study at Domain Forget is in the can
- George Amorim’s UTRGV technique class digs into Petracchi exercises
- The awe-inspiring Octobasss in action
- John Floeter shares the stage with Pete Townshend, Eddie Vedder, Billy Idol, and Alfie Boe
- Barrie Kolstein and Todd Coolman – two bass legends!
- Danny Ziemann moves to Switzerland for a new chapter
- New Horizons International Music Association – for adults picking up instruments later in life
- The Rise of San Francisco’s ‘Extreme Commuters’ (I’m trying my best not to become one of these!)
- Szymon Marciniak on the future of bass
- How Henry Threadgill, Composer, Spends His Sundays (hat tip to Paul Sanwald)
- Classical music is not a lifestyle accessory
- University of Toronto Bass Day coming October 1st
- Todd Parks on Nashville, technology, and the acoustic music scene
- New Album from Nick Villalobos and Simply Three
- Level Up Your Music Career With Jennifer Rosenfeld
- Jeff Denson on jazz education, finishing projects, and motivation
Get ready for interviews with Orin O’Brien, John Goldsby, and other next week, along with more footage from the Bradetich Competition, a window into the audition process from Atlanta Symphony bassist Michael Kurth, and much more!
Have a great weekend!
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.