Today’s the first day of fall!
It’s strange living in the land of “endless spring” here in San Francisco. I’d already be dreading the snow at this point of year back in Chicago.
Mark Dresser’s first solo LP released
Grammy nominated and internationally renowned bass player, improviser, composer, and interdisciplinary collaborator Mark Dresser has just released Modicana, his first solo LP. Mark has been exploring new ground for decades, and it’s great to see this new release!
Check out the following video for an example of Mark in action:
Over 63,000 Views of Bradetich Competition Facebook Live
The Bradetich Competition earlier this month was remarkable on many levels. Seeing these seventeen young double bass soloists put together diverse programs was a career highlight for me for sure.
I was down in Texas for the week live-streaming over 13 hours of footage on Facebook. What a cool way to connect the global bass community to this major event!
A big shout-out to Jeff Bradetich for the great idea, and thank you to everyone who followed along. It was so cool to see your likes, comments, and shares!
Thanks to wonderful footage from Jack Unzicker, I was able to put together four short “documentaries” about finalists Szymon Marciniak, Dominik Wagner, Marek Romanowski, and Mikyung Seong. Check them out below:
Hacked Theremins with Louis Levitt and Sybarite5
Past podcast guest Louis Levitt and his innovative group Sybarite5 have a new project with Jakub Ciupinski. Check out their video announcement here, and learn more about Louis’ fascinating journey in our recent conversation.
More Chromatic Endpin Explorations
I recorded a video experimenting with this endpin a few weeks ago:
New Documentary of 2017 International Bottesini Competition
- Thanks to Orin O’Brien, John Goldsby, Max Dimoff and Ranaan Meyer, Miles Brown, and Zach Rowden for chatting with me for the podcast!
- Congratulations to Jennifer Downing Olsson and the Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra! – hat tip to Charlie DeRamus and John Floeter
- Happy Birthday to past podcast guest Brandino! – check out our chat here
- a moment of Zen with bassist and conductor Frank Lestina
- Great vintage photo of Paul Ellison, Barry Green and François Rabbath – all three are former podcast guests!
- Bassist and conductor Jonathan Glawe has all sorts of innovative ways to build orchestra section morale – check out my interview with Jonathan here
- Great Gliere Tarantella video from Lauren Pearce (I was at part of that recording session!)
- How do you know when your intonation is good enough? – from Lauren Pierce and Geoff Chalmers
- Still Married to the Bass – great article from John Goldsby‘s wife Robin Goldsby
That’s it for this week–I’m off to Dallas for the International Society of Bassists board meeting. Have a great weekend!
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.