The centerpiece of this recital was Frank Proto‘s compelling new Sonata No. 3.
Frank wrote this piece expressly for Szymon, and it is–to say the least–epic in scope.
Here’s a great photo from that standing-room-only event. Isn’t that a cool pose? We talk about that in the interview!
Along with pianist Evan Mitchell, Szymon recorded a CD and DVD called New Music for Double Bass for Liben Music.
This new release includes Proto’s Sonata No. 3 along with the 2009 Sonata by Richard Dubugnon, Lu Shang’s Fantasy Higgs Boson, and Chiel Meijering’s The Ultimate Workout (Part 1).
We talk about:
- this feature-packed new release (check it out!)
- Szymon’s decision to leave his principal bass position with The Hague Philharmonic Orchestra and embark on a freelance career
- strings, endpins, balance, sound, and much more!
Check out this YouTube video with the complete first movement of the Proto Sonata No. 3. This will give you a feel for the incredibly musicianship and high production quality on this CD/DVD release:
Links to Check Out:
- Szymon’s YouTube channel
- Szymon plays Proto Sonata No. 3 mvt 1 (complete movement from DVD)
- Omega – Hungarian rock band we talk about
- New Music for Double Bass (CD/DVD)
Thanks to our sponsor!
This episode is brought to you by D’Addario Strings! Check out their Zyex strings, which are synthetic core strings that produce an extremely warm, rich sound. Get the sound and feel of gut strings with more evenness, projection and stability than real gut.