As I write this, I find myself stuck in the Newark airport and killing time during an unexpected layover. Getting from San Francisco to Ithaca is tricky!
Obviously, the big story of the week is the International Society of Bassists 2017 Convention. While I’m bummed that I’ll miss Gary Karr’s Keynote (thanks United Airlines!), I’m looking forward to spending the rest of the week with my double bass friends.
The workshop runs from July 16-30 and is split into 2 sessions, July 16-23 and July 23-30. Students can attend one or both sessions. Each student gets 3 private lessons per week and bass ensemble coachings with me, and can also play in the orchestra (led by Clay Couturiaux) and student concerts. Housing and meals is included in the tuition, but not required.
The cost of the workshop is $250, and you can email Dave Vergato at QueenCityBassWorkshop@gmail.com for more info including how to register.
The Golden Gate Bass Camp is taking place June 26-30. I’ll be teaching at this event, as will Richard Duke, DaXun Zhang, Donovan Stokes, Scott Pingel, Joe Lescher, Michael Manring, Jeff Denson, and many others.
- Rob Anzellotti of BassCapos.com has a new product… the RobPin! This looks like a cool and innovative new way to tackle the bent endpin
- practicing smart, not just hard with Will James and Rob Knopper
- Duo No. 3 for Violin and Double Bass by Tom Knific is now available – written for Martha Walvoord and Jack Unzicker – I heard it in South Texas and it rocks!
- Do Your Job Descriptions Make Unicorns Weep Tears Of Joy? – great thought-provoking post from Drew McManus
- The Role Of Music Inside Venezuela’s Unrest – another excellent post from Drew
Expect more ISB-related coverage from me this week. I just have to get there first! (rrrr…. United….)