About the Double Bassist’s Guide to Colleges
If you’re reading this guide, I’m guessing that music is a significant part of your life.
Maybe you want to perform music full-time.
Perhaps you want a life in music but aren’t sure what that even means.
You may want to double major in music and something else.
Great! You’re not alone.
Thousands of people just like you enter music school each year. Some of them have a laser focus and never detonate from that path. Others enter with a mind full of possibility and find their level. Some people realize it’s not for them and move on to other pursuits. Whether you’re looking to study music, civil engineering, or anything in between, picking a school is a daunting task. This guide will help you make sense of all the variables involved in your college search:
Big School, Small School, State School, Private School, In-State, Out-of-State, Conservatory, University
These are the goals of this guide
1. Bring clarity to the college audition and selection process and
2. Illustrate the many paths of success available to 21st-century music students
3. Document various methods of selecting a school
4. Offer a nuanced view into these many programs through perspectives from faculty, students, and alumni
5. Highlight the positive happenings at schools big and small in all 50 states
This guide was created to provide the most useful information to its users. We will not publish content that the authors deem unhelpful to the guide.
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.