Michael Hill, bass faculty
- US News Ranking: #2 in Regional Universities South
- US News Overall Score (out of 100): 97
- Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $46,520
- Room & Board 2016-17: $14,450
- Total Enrollment: 2,521
- Acceptance Rate (from 2015): 60%
- Student – Faculty Ratio: 10:1
- 4 year graduation rate: 64%
- % of undergrads receiving Financial aid: 50%
- Average Financial Aid: $28,861
Double Bass Statistics
- Studio Class, Orchestral Repertoire Class, Bass Ensembles
What Former Students of Michael Are Doing
- Principal of Charlotte-NC
- Sub basses in Atlanta Symphony, Orlando Philharmonic, orchestras throughout Florida
- Air Force Band
- Teaching graduates – throughout Florida, Hong Kong
Perspectives from the Bass Faculty
Q: What are some of your favorite experiences teaching at your school?
A: Helping the students find their path. Every student is different. I love watching them grow into respected members of the music community. Some students are performance focused, others love to teach, and still others love to perform without the stress of the professional career.
My schools offer a wide variety of focus. My performance study is very focused while offering the option of a double degree excelling in engineering, business or liberal arts. Our motto is: “You don’t have to freeze for a great education!”
I encourage all of my students to pursue every opportunity presented to them. Even if that opportunity takes them to another school. My priority is the health and betterment of the student.
About The Bass Faculty
Michael Hill is a graduate of the Curtis Institute of Music and former member of professional orchestras both in Europe and the U.S. Currently, Michael is the Principal Bass of the Orlando Philharmonic, Executive Director of the Chamber Music Festival of the Black Hills and adjunct professor at Rollins College, University of Central Florida and Stetson University.
Michael is one of the most active orchestral bass players and teachers throughout the Southeastern U.S. His students have gone on to the top musical institutions including Juilliard and Indiana University. His former students currently hold positions as Principal Bass of Charlotte NC, Glenn Miller Band, Air Force Bands, and perform regularly with orchestras throughout the U.S. such as Atlanta Symphony, Cincinnati Symphony, Pittsburgh Symphony and throughout Florida.
His education students hold teaching positions in Hong Kong and throughout Florida.
Michael is sponsored by Solano Basses and endorsed by D’Addario Strings.
Bass News Right To Your Inbox!
Subscribe to get our weekly newsletter covering the double bass world.