David Murray, bass faculty
- US News Ranking: #2 in Regional Universities Midwest
- US News Overall Score (out of 100): 98
- Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $38,405
- Room & Board 2016-17: $12,947
- Total Enrollment: 4,798
- Acceptance Rate (from 2015): 70%
- Student – Faculty Ratio: 11:1
- 4 year graduation rate: 53%
- % of undergrads receiving Financial aid: 61%
- Average Financial Aid: $19,987
Double Bass Statistics
- Average number of undergraduate bass students: 8
- Average number of graduate bass students: 1
- Studio Class, Bass Ensembles
- 2001 ISB Convention Host
What Alumni Are Doing
- Continuing on to grad school (often with a GA/TA position)
- working in a string instrument repair shop
- teaching (privately and at a college)
- working as asst. personnel manager for the Detroit Symphony
Perspectives from the Bass Faculty
Q: What are some of your favorite experiences teaching at your school?
A: Every December we play holiday music as a large bass ensemble and tour campus with it; recently Gary Karr had a performance here and we had a huge lunch together.
Besides a strong academic program and performing experiences, Indianapolis has so much to offer culturally – many concerts in various parts of the city; also, several local orchestras and other freelancing opportunities for our students; Butler has a Community Arts School, so our students have the chance to teach on campus.
About The Bass Faculty
David Murray is Professor of Bass at Butler University, and Director of Graduate Studies and Asst. Chair of the School of Music. he has performed throughout North America and abroad. He is currently on the board of the International Society of Bassists, and hosted the ISB convention at Butler in 2001.
Learn More About Bass Colleges
We've got a wealth of resources to guide you.