- State: Iowa
- State School (public)
- School Website
Volkan Orhon, bass faculty
- US News Ranking: #82 (tie) in National Universities
- US News Overall Score (out of 100): 52
- In-State Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $8,325
- Out-of-State Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $28,413
- Room & Board 2016-17: $9,728
- Total Enrollment: 30,844
- Acceptance Rate (from 2015): 81%
- Student – Faculty Ratio: 15:1
- 4 year graduation rate: 51%
- % of undergrads receiving Financial aid: 48%
- Average Financial Aid: $7,952
- 1999 ISB Convention Host
Double Bass Statistics
- Average number of undergraduate bass students: 6
- Average number of graduate bass students: 5
- Studio Class, Orchestral Repertoire Class, Bass Ensembles, Special Studies (such as technique, warmups etc)
What Alumni Are Doing
- Some continue their education in grad schools, some teaching in higher-ed and public schools, some win orchestra positions such as Quad Cities, Peoria, Orchestra Iowa etc.
Perspectives from the Bass Faculty
Q: What are some of your favorite experiences teaching at your school?
A: I love the welcoming atmosphere of Iowa City and our brand new state of the art building. I also like the variety of degrees that University of Iowa offers students.
I love the dynamic in my studio. Having a friendly and supportive group of students, make the learning environment that much more pleasurable and valuable. This is a very important aspect in my opinion.
About The Bass Faculty
Volkan Orhon was a prizewinner in the Concert Artists Guild, co-first prize at the International Society of Bassists Competitions, and was the first bassist ever to win the grand prize at the American String Teacher’s Association Competition. He has performed solo with orchestras around the world and was one of the premiere soloists for the International consortium of John Harbison’s Concerto for Bass Viol.
Orhon has performed with internationally recognized musicians including Gary Karr, Fazil Say, and Emerson & Tokyo String Quartets. He has performed at festivals throughout the world.
Learn More About Bass Colleges
We've got a wealth of resources to guide you.