- State: Massachussetts
- Private School
- School Website
- Map Link
- Music School Central Top 10 Colleges for Music for 2014
- #6 Music School Central Top 10 Colleges for Jazz 2014
- #1 Christian Howes’ Best College Programs for Creative String Players
Bass Faculty – Website
- Whit Brown – email
- David Clark – email
- Bruce Gertz – email
- Susan Hagen – email
- John Lockwood – email
- Barry Smith – email
- US News Rankings: #90 (tie) in National Liberal Arts Colleges
- US News Overall Score: 56
- Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $50,570
- Room & Board 2016-17: $14,520
- Total Enrollment: 801
- Acceptance Rate (from 2015): 63%
- Student – Faculty Ratio: 10:1
- 4 year graduation rate: 61%
- % of undergrads receiving Financial aid: 61%
- Average Financial Aid: $33,968
Double Bass Statistics
- Average number of undergraduate bass students: 7
- Average number of graduate bass students: 3
- Studio Class, Orchestral Repertoire Class, Bass Ensembles, Chamber Music and Contemporary Ensembles, Opera, Musical Theatre
What Alumni Are Doing
- Chicago Civic Orchestra
Perspectives from the Bass Faculty
Q: What are some of your favorite experiences teaching at your school?
A: The camaraderie and idea-sharing amongst the students is great!
Boston Conservatory at Berklee is innovative – we have recently merged with Berklee College of Music and the opportunities are limitless! We have all the typical classical conservatory offerings PLUS a lot of other classes.
About The Bass Faculty
Susan Hagen – Double Bass
A Boston native, Susan Hagen received both her Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees in Double Bass Performance from Boston University, graduating with honors as a student of Edwin Barker.
For the past ten seasons Susan has spent most of her time performing as an extra player with the Boston Symphony Orchestra. She also spends much time performing with the Boston Pops/Pops Esplanade Orchestra (where she was a soloist on their most recent tour through the MidWest), Boston Classical Orchestra, the Boston Ballet Orchestra, Boston Lyric Opera, among others. She was a fellowship student at the Tanglewood Music Center in 1998 and again by invitation in 1999.
Susan is on faculty at the Boston Conservatory at Berklee as well as at Berklee College of Music, and is a frequent guest lecturer at Harvard University. Susan performs chamber works as a founding member of Trio Nordica, with Winsor Music, Radius Ensemble, Chameleon Arts Ensemble, Mistral Music, and at Berklee College of Music.
Recently Susan was a soloist with the Harvard Summer School Orchestra, Boston Conservatory String Ensemble, the Warren (Ohio) Philharmonic and the Sharon Community Chamber Orchestra, and Waltham (MA) Philharmonic Orchestra.
For more on other Boston Conservatory at Berklee bass faculty please visit their bass faculty website.
Learn More About Bass Colleges
We've got a wealth of resources to guide you.