Hans Sturm, bass faculty
- US News Ranking: #111 (tie) in National Universities
- US News Overall Score (out of 100): 45
- In-State Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $8,628
- Out-of-State Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $23,148
- Room & Board 2016-17: $10,826
- Total Enrollment: 25,260
- Acceptance Rate (from 2015): 76%
- Student – Faculty Ratio: 22:1
- 4 year graduation rate: 33%
- % of undergrads receiving Financial aid: 43%
- Average Financial Aid: $7,325
Double Bass Statistics
- Average number of undergraduate bass students: 10
- Average number of graduate bass students: 3
- Studio Class, Orchestral Repertoire Class, Bass Ensembles, Bass Pedagogy
What Alumni Are Doing
- Sam Loeck (Calgary Philharmonic Principal Bass, 2016)
- Professor Kansas State University
Perspectives from the Bass Faculty
Q: What are some of your favorite experiences teaching at your school?
A: 3 weekly bass classes (aka Bass Hangs), regular master classes from artists who perform at Lied Center, walk to world class coffee, music venues, & ethnic food (Indian, Thai, Sushi, Cajun, Italian, etc.)
Chamber music coaching with Chiara Quartet (GRAMMY nominated), Downbeat Award-winning Jazz Ensembles, Hixson-Lied Student Grants for Travel and other projects, full-tuition waivers for exceptional students, broad range of pedagogy taught (Bianco, Zimmerman, Vance, Bradetich, Rabbath)
About The Bass Faculty
Bassist Hans Sturm has toured six continents performing jazz, classical and new music. He has performed with a wide range of jazz and creative musicians including Stanley Jordan, Eddie Daniels, Roscoe Mitchell, Alan Dawson, Joseph Jarman, Kenny Washington, John Moulder, Joan Wildman, and his wife, Jackie Allen. Hans has contributed performances and compositions to over fifty jazz and chamber music recordings including releases on Blue Note, Music & Arts, Cadence, Innova, and Red Mark.
Recent releases include a solo feature on Roscoe Mitchell’s release Numbers (Rogue Arts, Paris), A Day In Paris featuring original works in collaboration with composer Tom Larson and François Rabbath’s Concerto #2 dedicated to Hans and performed with Sylvain Rabbath, and a recording of original works written for Jackie Allen entitled Rose Fingered Dawn (avant bass). He is the producer of the award-winning pedagogical DVDs The Art of the Bow and Art of the Left Hand with François Rabbath.
He has served on the juries of numerous national and international solo, jazz, and composition competitions including recent competitions organized by the International Society of Bassists (2015 & 17) and the University of Auckland, New Zealand (2014). His major teachers included Anthony Bianco, Richard Davis, Jeff Bradetich, and François Rabbath. Hans is Professor of Double Bass and Jazz Studies at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Executive and Artistic Director of the Meadowlark Music Festival.
Learn More About Bass Colleges
We've got a wealth of resources to guide you.