Hans Halt, bass faculty
- US News Ranking: #197 (tie) in National Universities
- US News Overall Score (out of 100): 28
- In-State Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $7,142
- Out-of-State Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $21,052
- Room & Board 2016-17: $10,558
- Total Enrollment: 20,898
- Acceptance Rate (from 2015): 86%
- Student – Faculty Ratio: 22:1
- 4 year graduation rate: 21%
- % of undergrads receiving Financial aid: 53%
- Average Financial Aid: $5,086
Double Bass Statistics
- Average number of undergraduate bass students: 7
- Average number of graduate bass students: 1
- Studio Class, Bass Ensembles, Jazz combos and big bands
What Alumni Are Doing
- Sam Minaie- Currently living in New York City, he has enjoyed touring and recording throughout the world with artists including Tigran Hamasyan, Kneebody, Donny McCaslin, Dhafer Youssef, Charlie Haden’s Liberation Orchestra (tuba), Peter Epstein, David Ake, Ravi Coltrane, Jeff Ballard, Nate Wood, Mark Guiliana, Patti Austin, Melody Gardot, Butch Morris, Tootie Heath, Jean-Michel Pilc, Ari Hoenig, Shai Maestro, Nate Wood, Ben Wendel, Houman Pourmehdi, Alfred Ladzekpo and numerous others.
Perspectives from Students and Alumni
Q: What are some favorite memories about studying at this school?
A: Playing in lots of small groups.
A: Meeting great friends, studying hard with caring teachers, creative atmosphere
A: Seeing Adam Benjamin, Ralph Alessi, and Peter Epstein.
Q: How did this school help prepare you for your future endeavors?
A: I can rehearse a band quickly and efficiently.
A: Connected with musicians I still collaborate with. Incredible teachers that encouraged keeping the world of musicians in perspective.
A: Gave me the chance to teach more.
Q: What advice would you offer others thinking about studying at this school?
A: Demand for good bassists is usually high, as it is most places. I would try to find out how many bassists are at the school at the time. You can end up with more in scholarships if it’s not saturated.
A: Incredible program, the faculty roster speaks for itself… better than most conservatories, and a fraction of the cost.
A: Great for grad school.
Q: Is there anything else you’d like to share about this school?
A: Great faculty on most instruments. Faculty has close relationships with countless amazing guest artists. Exciting and inspiring atmosphere.
A: This school will allow you to study hard and play a lot. There are tons of gigs and creative musicians in Reno, and bassists will be playing regular gigs immediately which is invaluable especially compared to going straight to larger cities where gigs are more sparse.
Mike M, Sam M, Dylan C
Perspectives from the Bass Faculty
Q: What are some of your favorite experiences teaching at your school?
A: I enjoy seeing my students grow as musicians and persons through their studies at UNR.
Attending UNR’s Program of Jazz and Improvisation as a bass major is so much more than studying bass with me. You will be exposed to the rest of our amazing faculty and students, with many opportunities to perform in school as well as in the local community.
About The Bass Faculty
Hans Halt holds his Bachelor and Master degrees from UNR and is a full time instructor of bass and jazz studies at the university. He is an integral part of the Program of Jazz and Improvisational Music, teaching all levels of jazz improvisation, jazz arranging, jazz composition and jazz keyboard techniques.
Mr. Halt has performed with numerous top jazz artists participating in the Reno Jazz Festival, including Peter Erskine, Bobby Hutcherson, Geri Allen, Fred Hersch, Lee Konitz, Ravi Coltrane, and Avishai Cohen and Joe Lovano. In June 2016, Mr. Halt organized a five day tour with acclaimed pianist Art Lande, and saxophonist Paul McCandless. In July 2016, he was a recipient of an Artist Fellowship grant from the Nevada Arts Council.
Mr. Halt is also an experienced clinician, having presented master classes and performances for the Reno Jazz Festival, Music Teachers National Association, The International Society of Basses, and Brigham Young University.
Learn More About Bass Colleges
We've got a wealth of resources to guide you.