Eric Hansen, bass faculty
- US News Ranking: #68 (tie) in National Universities
- US News Overall Score (out of 100): 57
- Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $5,300
- Room & Board 2016-17: $7,448
- Total Enrollment: 33,469
- Acceptance Rate (from 2015): 48%
- Student – Faculty Ratio: 20:1
- 4 year graduation rate: 31%
- % of undergrads receiving Financial aid: 47%
- Average Financial Aid: $5,068
Double Bass Statistics
- Average number of undergraduate bass students: 9-10
- Average number of graduate bass students: 1
- Studio Class, Orchestral Repertoire Class, Bass Ensembles, Pedagogy, Teaching Practicum, Jazz big bands and combos, touring ensembles
What Alumni Are Doing
- Darren Cueva, (BA 2012), Principal National Symphony Orchestra,
- Quito Ecuador, finishing graduate work with Catalin Rotaru at Arizona State University.
- Josh Lambert (BA 2015), finishing master’s program with Jeff Bradetich at UNT.
Perspectives from the Bass Faculty
Q: What are some of your favorite experiences teaching at your school?
A: Seeing students make lots of progress towards mastering the bass, as well as having great personal experiences for growth and exposure. The school is very supportive in aiding students with travel expenses for conferences, auditions and such. For example, in 2015 the studio and I were able to attend Double Bass World 2 in Russia. Bass students get ongoing opportunities for travel as well: this year school ensembles are going to Brazil, the Philippines, and Thailand/Cambodia. Also, bringing guests to campus; last Fall we had a great week-long visit from virtuoso Boguslaw Furtok, who came at the same time we had the Karr-Koussevitsky bass in residency for a month. Other guests in recent years have included Sid King, Jack Unzicker, and Artem Chirkov.
Tuition costs at BYU are surprising–a real great value.
About The Bass Faculty
Substitute work: National Symphony, Utah Symphony, Cologne Radio Orchestra, National Arts Centre Orchestra (Ottawa), and the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center.
Recitals and masterclasses include U.S., Canada, Bolivia, Ecuador, Poland, Czech Republic, Austria, Russia and China.