- State: Wisconsin
- State School (public)
- School Website
Bradley Townsend, bass faculty
- US News Ranking: #49 (tie) in Regional Universities Midwest
- US News Overall Score (out of 100): 60
- In-State Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $7,637
- Out-of-State Tuition & Fees 2016-17: $15,710
- Room & Board 2016-17: $7,082
- Total Enrollment: 12,351
- Acceptance Rate (from 2015): 81%
- Student – Faculty Ratio: 22:1
- 4 year graduation rate: 28%
- % of undergrads receiving Financial aid: 51%
- Average Financial Aid: $5,358
Double Bass Statistics
- Average number of undergraduate bass students: 7
- Studio Class, Bass Ensembles, Undergraduate Research
What Alumni Are Doing
- Many of our bass students are now teaching in public schools and have their own private studios
- Several students have either pursued graduate work at other institutions and/or are playing professionally in jazz, orchestral and even musical theater
Perspectives from the Bass Faculty
Q: What are some of your favorite experiences teaching at your school?
A: It’s an honor to work with students who are really passionate about music and I love being a part of the creative process. One of my favorite experiences is when I have a group of students improvise freely together in the dark for the first time. Some of the most thoughtful and creative ideas come from this atmosphere!
What’s really great about UW-Whitewater is how much playing opportunity one has. There are so many ensembles to be a part of from baroque ensemble, improvisers orchestra, jazz ensembles to musicals, orchestra, film music and electronic music. Through this experience students are well prepared for any musical situation.
About The Bass Faculty
Bradley Townsend holds a Master of Music in Improvisation from the University of Michigan and a Bachelor of Music in Performance from the University of Iowa, where he studied with Diana Gannett. Brad teaches string bass, jazz improvisation and conducts jazz combos as well as the improvisers orchestra at the University of Wisconsin- Whitewater. In addition to playing with many notable artists, Brad performs with area ensembles such as the Dubuque Symphony Orchestra, Madison Symphony Orchestra, Arp of the Covenant and the Madison Jazz Jam. His recordings have been reviewed in All About Jazz and the All Music Guide.
Learn More About Bass Colleges
We've got a wealth of resources to guide you.